The IB Program consists of six areas of study. A candidate must select one subject from groups 1-5. The sixth subject can be selected from group 6 or a candidate may select an additional subject from groups 1-5.
Each student must successfully complete six examinations, one from each of the areas listed below. The information below gives the general exam areas and sample exams.
As a full diploma candidate, students must choose 3-4 high level (HL) tests and 2-3 standard level (SL) tests. In their junior year, students may take up to two SL examinations.
- Language A: English HL
- Language B: French SL, Latin SL, German SL, or Spanish SL
- Chemistry SL, Astronomy SL, or Biology HL
- History: History of the Americas HL, European History HL, or Psychology HL
- Mathematics: Mathematics SL or Mathematics HL
- Sixth Subject: (elective) Music SL, Visual Art SL/HL, second experimental science, second world language, or Psychology SL / HL,
The Theory of Knowledge course
The Theory of Knowledge course (T.O.K.) is the cornerstone of the IB program. T.O.K. is a seminar course organized around concepts of knowledge taught in the six IB core subjects. Oral discussion, defense of ideas, and critical thinking are key components of the course. The T.O.K. course explores questions of philosophy and the origins of knowledge. T.O.K. is offered during seminar at all three high schools. Many students see this class as one of the perks of the program.
Exam Fees 2019-2020:
- Certificate students: Exam fee $119/exam
- Diploma students: Two installments of $357 each. One junior year, one senior year.
If a student is enrolled in an IB course, the expectation is that he/she complete both the Internal assessment section of the class AND the end of course exam in May. If the student does not do so, he/she will not receive IB or honors credit for the incomplete course, and they will be dropped from the course at the end of the current grading period.
Internal Assessment Due Dates:
The following are the due dates for the Internal Assessments for the 2019-2020 school term. There will be very few exceptions to these, so please talk with your teacher earlier rather than later about issues or problems in getting finished on time. Also, please note that the Extended Essay date and T.O.K. essay date are listed. Those may change if IB changes their due dates. These dates represent the date the essays need to be turned in to your teacher in final form.
Semester One 2019-2020
- Math HL-2 Math SL-2
- Extended Essay Rough Draft
- History of Americas
- Psychology HL-2
- European History HL-2
Semester Two 2017-2018
- Extended Essay due date
- English Oral IA
- Euro HL-2
- T.O.K. essays and oral presentations final deadline
- All sciences
- Psych SL
- Language B Oral IA
- IB Courses Offered for Honors Credit
- Language Policy
- Assessment Policy
- Academic Honesty Policy
- Special Education Needs/Inclusive Education Policy
- Admissions Policy